Just when we thought we were done prepping we discovered we had even MORE prepping. If you missed the first round of prepping you can catch up here. All those pretty penny tiles sheets were laid out on the breakfast bar surface. Since we decided to angle the sides of the counter, we had to precisely cut, trim and buff about 40 of the penny tiles lining the left and right edges of the countertop. Let the penny splitting commence!
Paul discovered the stainless steel “copper” pennies were caps that could be removed when cut in half. This helped a little when trying to cut and sand the sharp edges. He spent a good chunk of time dedicated to cutting these little circles to fit perfectly.
In the photo above and below you can see all of the little half circles that had to be cut. The right side (below) was definitely more challenging with the wall protruding into the counter surface space.
Once all pieces were sized and place we had to carefully remove the sheets and loose pieces so we could apply the tile adhesive and relay the tiles. It was like putting together a giant puzzle and then Mom tells you dinner is ready so you to move your puzzle to another table. It was heartbreaking to move all those little cut tiles.
We threw a mini pity party and proceeded to moved the cut pieces onto another level surface for each transporting. Once we started applying adhesive and laying the penny tile sheets it went pretty fast. All of the cut tiles had to be placed one at a time and spaced very carefully. We didn’t want any of the loose, cut tiles to stand out among the others.
Paul used a level to check the surface for any lumps and bumps. We let the adhesive set overnight. A few days prior I had stained the trim so it would be ready to cut and nail in place before applying the grout.
Once the trim was installed, we were ready to grout. We used a pre-mixed grout in the Linen color for a subtle contrast against the copper penny tiles. Here is Paul in action with his float and grout. I did a small section in the middle and decided it was more fun to supervise, so I handed the float back over and took more photos. 🙂
Just when you thought you were going to see the finished product, I am going to leave you hanging once again. I’ll warn you, there is a little more prepping to this project. Next, I’ll show you the last few steps to this project and share photos of the final product.