One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover

Hi Everyone!  I know, I know.  I’m tardy to the party, but better late than never!  Last week was nuts so I’m a wee bit behind on life.  Ready for more updates on our shed makeover? Okay, here we go…stretch out your scrolling finger, I have many photos for you!

ORC-LP-Blue-250x183

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 12

Overall, we had a successful weekend in crossing items off our list.  Thankfully, the weather cooperated and we had two beautiful days to work.  We had six major items on the list and we accomplished 3 of them. Woo hoo!  We ventured to Home Depot Friday night to pick up supplies.  We picked up: paint, weather treated wood for the trim replacement and sheets of plywood for the subfloor and new doors.  Thanks to Jason for being our chauffeur and letting us use his truck!

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 18

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 19

Saturday the sun was shinning and I was super anxious to start painting.  I started with the body of the shed in Homburg Gray by Sherwin Williams.

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 11

While I was busy painting, Paul was working on replacing the subfloor near the entrance of the shed.  Here’s a shot of the original subfloor and lack of a 2×4 board under the front.  The wood was completely rotted so he just pulled it out in pieces with a hammer and his hands.  See it sinking as Paul stands on the floor?

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 17

Another shot of the subfloor before we removed it.  We found a little mouse hole in the floor- can you see it below?  Mice were definitely living comfortably in the shed before we got our hands on it.

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 16

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 15

Paul used his skillsaw to cut out the subfloor.  Here’s a shot of what was underneath; nothing much but more rotted boards, dirt and chewed up plastic.  No wonder the floor was sinking. 😉

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 14

The next step requires your imagination because I failed to take photos.  In the photo above, there would be all new 2×4 boards in place of the rotting or non-existant boards to better support the new floor, which you see in the photo below.  You may also notice that brand new board in the front of the shed?  Pretty nice, eh?  This step reads like a cake walk, but I assure you it was not easy.  Since the perimeter boards were rotten in the front, right hand, corner of the shed, we had to jack up that corner of the shed to get new boards under the shed.  The jack we had wasn’t enough to hoist it up, so we used a 2×4+Paul muscle to raise the corner of the shed a few times.  While Paul effortlessly raised the corner of the shed, I gracefully hammered the board under the shed when the opportunity presented itself.  Easy, right? 😉

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 10

Once we finished the subfloor debacle, we moved onto repairing the doors and adding new trim.  We removed each door and pulled off the top layers of rotten wood.  New boards were cut to size and painted with Forbidden Red by Behr. Once they were dry, Paul cut the new trim and nailed in place.

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 8

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 5

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 6

We replaced the trim around the bottom and each corner of the shed since they were crumbling.  The header over the door called for a little more pop, so we added a wider piece of weather treated wood and angled the sides.  Keep scrolling for more trim photos >>>

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 7

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 1

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 2

Once the doors were back together, we hung them with new black hinges and handles.  About 30 minutes after the doors were back in place, a storm rolled in.  We got lucky!

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 3 Black Hinge

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 4 Black door hardware handles

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress

To recap, we accomplished far more than we expected.  However, the subfloor situation took longer than anticipated.  We still may need to replace more of the flooring once we actually pull everything out of the shed to reorganize.  We were quite impressed with how easy those doors went back in place after repairing.  The old doors were droopy and hard to operate.  The new doors open and close like a dream.  Smooth-as-butter. We are still playing around with landscaping options and not super thrilled with our ideas.  Landscaping is hard, guys!  Not our favorite.

So, what’s next?  All of the new trim will be painted brown.  We will remove everything from the shed, build shelving, organize and putting everything back in it’s new home. Oh, and the dreaded landscaping.  Ooo, maybe some flowers, though?!  I’ll leave you with one last photo for your viewing pleasure.  Check back next week for more updates!  Don’t forget to swing by over at Calling It Home for many other Week 3 project updates.

One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover Progress 13

 

ORC-LP-250x183

Catch Up Here >>>

Week 1:
One Room Challenge:-Week 1- Shed Makeover Inspiration and Wish List

Week 2:

One Room Challenge-Week 2- Shed Makeover Progress 1

All Photos via Designs By Jolene

[fblike]

6 thoughts on “One Room Challenge: Week 3 Shed Makeover

  1. Pingback: One Room Challenge: Week 6 – Shed Makeover | The Final Reveal | Designs By Jolene

  2. Pingback: One Room Challenge: A Shed Makeover | Designs By Jolene

Leave a Reply